Mommy Articles/Links

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Should I Give My Daughter A Trophy w/o Earning It?



Classic Dance Trophy: Crown Awards


This weekend my daughter will be tap and ballet dancing across the stage during her 2nd recital. Last year I was so excited and even shed a tear while standing and clapping profusely. I mean, come on she’s my baby, right? I’m entitled to go over the top. Last year her class started with three girls and in the end there were just two of them so naturally, the two being all of three years old stole the show. This year she is one of about 12 girls and they are all so adorable. As we were preparing for bed tonight, I noticed her tapping on top of my son’s training toilet so I know she’s ready. Actually ever since last year’s recital she has done nothing short of talked about getting back on the “dance stage” which is how she describes the recital.




Last year, she noticed that some of the other dancers in the school were given a trophy. They were awarded a trophy for dancing with the school for three years. Although we presented her with a bouquet of flowers, she really wanted a trophy. While I did not run out and have a trophy made, I admit in the back of my mind I have continued to think whether or not it made sense to buy her one this year. Being a former pageant director, I know right where to go, how long it will take and how much it will cost. But is it a good thing to get her a trophy without earning it according to the dance school’s rules and regulations? I want her to understand what it means to accomplish something and what has to be done to achieve it. On the other hand, because of the nastiness we witnessed from the owner of the school, I’m not so sure if we’ll attend this school next year. So I’m not sure what to do. When and if we switch schools she may have to start all over again and may feel she will never receive a trophy.


What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails