Mommy Articles/Links

Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day


Below is a link to a great video and brief history lesson for those who only think Memorial Day is for BBQ's and sales. I come from a family who has served in various branches of the Military. My grandfather served in the Navy, my newphew recently enlisted in the Navy, my sister, cousin, uncle and aunt served in the Army, and a cousin served in the Marines. I am proud of all of them. I have not served in the military but was proud to work amongst Army personnel and college students in the Army Reserves while working as a civilian/student at my college campus ROTC for a few years during Dessert Storm.

According to History.com, Memorial Day, which falls on the last Monday of May, commemorates the men and women who died while serving in the American military. Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades. Unofficially, at least, it marks the beginning of summer.
It's also my mother's 62nd birthday!! Happy Birthday, Mom!!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails