Mommy Articles/Links

Friday, May 14, 2010

7 Year Olds Dressed As Hookers?



I would be totally remiss if I didn't weigh in on the latest controversy on the 7 year old's dancing to Beyonce's "Single Ladies." First I have to say kudos to Paul Mitchell for sponsoring the dance contest because they are receiving tons of advertisement as we all watch this clip on youtube, CNN, Good Morning America, etc.








What's wrong with the girls wearing this adorable costume?

As a former pageant director in the Miss America pageant system and Hal Jackson's Talented Teens International system, I have seen countless dance solos, dance groups, in every genre possible. Some good and some not so good. I would often attend the recitals or dance competitions of my pageant queens, usually ages 14 - 17, and was soon able to decipher between good and bad dancing, good technique, etc. So although I am not a dancer I still know what I'm talking about. My team and I have coached numerous young ladies to international, national, state, and local titles.





Even the costume on the left could have worked. The stockings are a bit risky but still better



My opinion is simply that both the parents and the dance school should not have allowed a few things to happen. First, the costumes are inappropriate for 7 year olds. The girls are awesome dancers and performers. These costumes would have worked just as well.







What do you think about the costume on the right for the routine?

The dance moves were typical dance moves. If you don't agree, just go to a local dance competition, which are usually free, and see for yourself. I don't think the move where the little girls bends completely over and has her tooshy in their air was appropriate. Oh, and the little girl gyrating stripper-like or video vixen like to the floor was a bit too much. I think I would have yanked my daughter off the stage that very moment if this were my first time seeing the routine. We also would have withdrawn from the dance school.





These are waaaay too cute!

I was very entertained by the number but couldn't understand why the dance teacher or school approved these costumes. My daughter takes tap and ballet and we have never been asked for input on what costumes our daughters wear. We order the costumes as far back as December for the June recital. The costumes arrived in March for fitting, etc. We have had several months to review, approve, and protest against these costumes if we decided to do so. We have also been invited into the dance studio about 5 minutes before the end of class several times to view the dance routine the girls will perform at their recital next month. I assume the parents of these
girls also received a sneak peak.

SHAME ON THESE PARENTS FOR NOT SPEAKING UP!!

*All costumes can be found at Algyperforms.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails