Mommy Articles/Links

Monday, September 5, 2011

Kiddie in the City

As an end to her summer vacation, a friend and I took our kids to NYC for the day to ride the "big red bus without the top on it" as she calls it.  For those who have visited the city, that would be the double decker City Tour bus that takes tourists and locals with 5 year olds around to see the city sites.  She was excited about sitting on the top as are most kids but got a bit bored around Wall Street.  She obviously had no idea of the historic significance with the 10th anniversary of September 11th just days away. She was excited to see where her dad worked years before her birth but was more excited to see the Empire State building.  We took her book, "Good Night New York" with us so she could mark them off mentally as we passed each landmark.  Being a fan of the entire Real Housewives Of (you name it), I was most excited to see Zarin Fabrics owned by Jill Zarin and husband.  Can't wait to go back! 

After the tour, we hopped off at the Waldorf Astoria stop and walked 10 blocks to lunch at Serendipity 3.  We attempted to use the restroom in the Waldorf but were dropped off in the back of the hotel and didn't feel like walking around the front of the building.  I wanted my daughter to see the grandeur of the historic hotel.  We waited for about 20 minutes which didn't seem long after using the restroom which is super tiny, lacks a purse hook, and has extremely hot water.  While we were waiting for our food, who walks in?  Joan Rivers and her daughter Melissa who were taping an episode of their reality show.  They were not disruptive at all so I was pleased that our dining experience was not affected at all.  However, I would have loved to have seen her (plastic surgery) up close. 

Serendipity is most known for their frozen hot chocolate and now that I think about it, Gail King or was it Oprah, did a snippet on their popular beverage.  Either way, I did notice alot of people ordering this sweet beverage, however I chose not too.  Our meal was enough AND I just had a delicious, calorie rich hot chocolate from my local coffee shop, Sip This, the day before. This restaurant didn't have chicken fingers so I question if this place is kid-friendly. 

After lunch, we scuttled over to Dylan's Candy Bar just around the corner where my daughter nearly lost her mind after eying all of the delicious treats.  This place was amazing!!!

Afterwards, we caught a cab and headed back to Penn Station to catch a train back to Long Island.  As we slowly made our way to Penn, we drove by the Plaza Hotel and noticed a huge Eloise banner.  How excited!  I now recall an old friend sharing with me that Eloise was at The Plaza Hotel.  I think I know what our next kiddie in the city event will include. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails